Journal of Control and Systems Engineering
|Simple Criteria for Stability and Instability of Discrete-Time Systems
|The contribution of the article is threefold. In the first part of this article the literature is surveyed for simple computation-free criteria for the verification of stability/instability of discrete-time systems. Numerous results are reported which are missing in standard texts on discrete-time control systems. In the second part new results in the same spirit are presented. They are in terms of necessary or sufficient conditions, free from computational burden, and thus much appealing to the systems and control community. These criteria are derived using the Rouche’s theorem which although has found numerous applications in systems and control theory is not unanimously known by engineering academicians. The third part of this article is a concise introduction to this theorem. The literature is also surveyed for its applications in the field and several ways of its manifestation are reported and classified.
|Keywords:Discrete-Time Systems; Robustness; Rouche’s Theorem; Stability Criteria
|Author: Yazdan Bavafa-Toosi
- J. J. Moreno-Balcazar, “ -Meixner-Sobolev orthogonal polynomials: Mehler-Heine type formula and zeros,” Jr. Computational and Applied Mathematics, vol. 284, pp. 228-234, 2015.
- I. E. Pritsker and X. Xie, “Expected number of real zeros for random Freud orthogonal polynomials,” Jr. Mathematical Analysis and Applications, vol. 429, no. 2, pp. 1258-1270, 2015.
- K. Castillo, “Monotonicity of zeros for a class of polynomials including hyper-geometric polynomials,” Applied Mathematics and Computation, vol. 266, pp. 183-193, 2015.
- P. Borwein and T. Erdelyi, Polynomials and polynomial inequalities. Springer, 1995.
- G. V. Milovanovic, D. S. Mitrinovic, and Th. M. Rassias, Topics in polynomials: Extremal problems, inequalities, zeros. World Scientific Publishing, 1999.
- S. A. Tavares, Generation of multivariate Hermite interpolating polynomials. Chapman & Hall, CRC, 2006.
- C. H. Phillips, H. T. Nagle, and A. Chakrabortty, Digital control system analysis and design, 4th ed., Pearson Education, Inc., 2015.
- A. Abian, “The precise annulus containing all the zeros of a polynomial,” Periodica Mathematica Hungarica, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 107-109, 1983.
- E. Rouche, “Memoire sur la seire de Lagrange,” Jr. Ecole Polytech., vol. 22, pp. 217-218, 1862.
- N. E. Mastorakis, “Robust stability of polynomials: New approach,” Jr. Optimization Theory and Applications, vol. 93, no. 3, pp. 635-68, 1997.
- S. Grammatico, A. Subbaraman, and A. R. Teel, “Discrete-time stochastic control systems: A continuous Lyapunov function implies robustness to strictly causal perturbations,” Automatica, vol. 49, no. 10, pp. 2939-2952, 2013.
- O. Hazir, M. Haouari, and E. Erel, “Robust scheduling and robustness measures for the discrete-time/cost trade-off problem,” European Jr. Operational Research, vol. 207, no. 2, pp. 633-643, 2010.
- V. Sundarapandian, “Exponential stabilizability and robustness analysis for discrete-time nonlinear systems,” Applied Mathematics Letters, vol. 18, no. 7, pp. 757-764, 2005.
- V. L. Kharitonov, “Asymptotic stability of an equilibrium position of a family of systems of linear differential equations,” Differential'nye Uravneniya, vol. 14, no. 11, pp. 2086-2088, 1978.
- B. R. Barmish, New tools for robustness of linear systems. MacMillan, 1994.
- D. van Dulst, “A functional analytic proof of Rouche’s theorem,” The American Mathematical Monthly, vol. 78, no. 7, pp. 770-771, 1971.
- A. Abian, “Hurwitz’ theorem implies Rouche’s theorem,” Jr. Mathematical Analysis and Applications, vol. 61, no. 1, pp. 113-115, 1977.
- D. Challener and Lee Rubel, “A converse to Rouche’s theorem,” The American Mathematical Monthly, vol. 89, no. 5, pp. 302-305, 1982.
- E. G. Sklyarenko, “A topological version of the argument principle and Rouche’s theorem,” Fundam. Prikl. Mat., vol. 11, no. 5, pp. 209-223, 2005.
- A. Melman, “Generalization and variations of Pellet’s theorem for matrix polynomials,” Linear Algebra and Its Applications, vol. 439, no. 5, pp. 1550-1567, 2013.
- R. Mortini and R. Rupp, “The symmetric versions of Rouche’s theorem via calculus,” Journal of Complex Analysis, vol. 2-14, pp. 1-9, 2014.
- Y. Monden and S. Arimoto, “Generalized Rouche’s theorem and its application to multivariate autoregression,” IEEE Trans. Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing, vol. 28, no. 6, pp. 733-738, 1980.
- K. Kishida, S. Yamada, and K. Bekky, “Note on poles of autoregressive type model, Part III: General case,” Jr. Mathematical Analysis and Applications, vol. 159, pp. 175-201, 1991.
- V. Klimenok, “On the modification of Rouche’s theorem for the queuing theory problems,” Queuing Systems Theory and Applications, vol. 38, pp. 431-434, 2001.
- I. J. B. F. Adan, J. S. H. van Leeuwaarden, and E. M. M. Winands, “On the application of Rouche’s theorem in queuing theory,” Operations Research Letters, vol. 34, no. 3, pp. 355-360, 2006.
- S. C. Chan, H. H. Chen, and C. K. S. pun, “The design of digital all-pass filters using second-order cone programming,” IEEE Trans. Circuits and Systems II, vol. 52, no. 2, pp. 66-70, 2005.
- G. J. Dolecek and V. Dolecek, “Application of Rouche’s theorem for MP filter design,” Applied Mathematics and Computation, vol. 211, no. 2, pp. 329-335, 2009.
- A. K. El-Sakkary, “A new criterion for estimating robust time delays for closed loop stability,” IEEE Trans. Automatic Control, vol. 35, no. 2, pp. 209-210, 1990.
- A. K. El-Sakkary, “The symmetric Rouche’s form for robustness,” IEEE Trans. Automatic Control, vol. 37, no. 6, pp. 810-812, 1992.
- L. Zhou and M. T. Jong, “Comments on “Estimating the robust dead time for closed-loop stability,” IEEE Trans. Automatic Control, vol. 34, no. 12, pp. 1324, 1989.
- N. E. Mastorakis, “Optimum radius of robust stability for Schur polynomials,” Jr. Optimization Theory and Applications, vol. 104, no. 1, pp. 165-174, 2000.
- N. E. Mastorakis, “On the robust stability of 2D Schur polynomials,” Jr. Optimization Theory and Applications, vol. 106, no. 2, pp. 431-439, 2000.
- W.-S. Lu, “On stability robustness of discrete-time systems: The complex variable approach of Mastorakis,” IEEE Conference, pp. 346-349, 1998.
- C. I. Byrnes, D. S. Gilliam, and J. He, “Root locus and boundary feedback design for a class of distributed parameter systems,” SIAM Jr. Control Optimization, vol. 32, no. 5, pp. 1364-1427, 1994.
- E. K. Verriest, O. Sename, and P. Pepe, “Robust observer-controller for delay-differential systems,” In Proceedings of the 41st IEEE Conference on Decision and Control, Los Vegas, pp. 981-986, 2002.
- P. P. Vaidyanathan and S. K. Mitra, “Cascade interpretation of classical stability results,” In Proceedings of the 28th IEEE Conference on Decision and Control, Tampa, pp. 11-16, 1989.
- M. Najafi, G. R. Sarhangi, and H. Wang, “Stabilizability of coupled wave equations in parallel under various boundary conditions,” IEEE Trans. Automatic Control, vol. 42, no. 9, pp. 1308-1312, 1997.
- W. Kase and Y. Mutoh, “A design of exact model matching control systems for a possibly wrong information on the interactor matrix,” In Proceedings of the IEEE ISIE Conference, Montreal, Quebec, pp. 188-193, 2006.
- F. Merrikh-Bayat, “General formula for stability testing of linear systems with fractional-delay characteristic equations,” Central European Journal of Physics, vol. 11, no. 6, pp. 855-862, 2013.
- S. Mondie, M. Dambrine, and O. Santos, “Approximation of control laws with distributed delays: A necessary condition for stability,” Kybernetica, vol. 38, no. 5, pp. 541-551, 2002.
- R. Rebarber and S. Townley, “Robustness and continuity of the spectrum for uncertain distributed parameter systems,” Automatica, vol. 31, no. 11, pp. 1533-1546, 1995.
- M. H. Annaby, Z. S. Mansour, and O. A. Ashour, “On reality and asymptotics of zeros of q-Hankel transforms,” Jr. Approximation Theory, vol. 160, pp. 223-242, 2009.
- Y. Dolgin and E. Zeheb, “LMI characterization of general stability regions for polynomials,” IEEE Trans. Automatic Control, vol. 56, no. 4, pp. 890-895, 2011.
- H. Ammari and F. Triki, “Resonances for microstrip transmission lines,” SIAM Jr. Applied Mathematics, vol. 64, no. 2, pp. 601-636, 2003.
- S. Benzoni-Gavage, “Spectral inverse instability of solitary waves in Kortewig fluids,” Jr. Mathematical Analysis Applications, vol. 361, pp. 338-357, 2010.
- W. D. Zhu, C. D. Mote, and B. Z. Guo, “Asymptotic distribution of eigenvalues of a constrained translating strip,” ASME Journal of Applied Mechanics, vol. 64, pp. 613-619, 1997.